Python tools for Saucy

Barry Warsaw barry at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 10 18:37:46 UTC 2013

A few quick notes about some Python tools for Saucy.

I filed and FFe for syncing virtualenv 1.10.1 from Debian (LP: #1223483) and
an FFe for syncing pip 1.4.1 from Debian (LP: #1223001).  Updating virtualenv
will fix the tox 1.6.1 FTBFS, which I'll put back once the FFe's are approved
and closed.

One issue that came up with the virtualenv FFe was the new merged setuptools.
For those who don't know, a while back distribute was merged back into the
setuptools project, and several new releases have happened upstream since
then.  virtualenv contains a "vendored" version of an older, but still
post-merge setuptools so we don't have to worry about it for that, but ideally
it would be nice to have a newer setuptools package in Ubuntu.

I think that it's too late to feel confident about upgrading the standalone
setuptools for Saucy though.  Last time we talked about it over in Debian,
Matthias was waiting for Python 3.2 to be removed before tackling this, and
there's been no updates on that afaik.  So that's another reason to wait until
14.04 to switch to the merged/latest setuptools in Ubuntu.

I think this will leave us in pretty good shape for 13.10, but if you have any
additional comments, please follow up here or in the above bugs.

Cheers,
-Barry