[Ubuntu-phone] Policy: filing bugs against Ubuntu packages instead of upstream projects

Ursula Junque ursinha at ursinha.net
Tue Nov 26 12:34:45 UTC 2013

Hi Thomi,

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 5:56 AM, Thomi Richards <
thomi.richards at canonical.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Ursula Junque <ursinha at ursinha.net>wrote:
>

>> If upstreams don't oppose to that, bugs should only be filed against
>> Ubuntu packages, discouraging the direct upstream reporting.
>>

> I think the distinction between upstream and distro is a useful one, and
> I'd be sad if we started treating them as one and the same (or created a
> blanket rule about where bugs should be reported, which is effectively the
> same thing, in my mind).
>
> I also believe that the correct place for almost all bugs to be filed is
> against the upstream projects itself (at least, for the core
> Canonical/Ubuntu projects - I assume we're having this conversation in the
> context of canonical-sponsored Ubuntu Touch projects).

I understand your point, but I'm talking about the policy while dogfooding
Ubuntu Touch, and as this is testing the distro it would make more sense to
file bugs against the distro packages and use the distro tools, as ogra
pointed. As I said, if upstreams see value in having an upstream bugtask
that can be discussed, but in this case we need to have at least one
bugtask for the source package, always.

Sebastian (seb128) pointed that having one list of bugs (the distro ones)
helped a lot for the Settings project, they even "closed" the bugs section
on the upstream project to ensure bugs would be in a single place (also
easier to maintain more accurate bug status/progress). We only need to
agree on a policy so it's clear to everyone how it works.

> I suspect one of the issues is that it's easy to miss bugs filed against
> the Ubuntu package only. Is there an easy tweak we can make to launchpad so
> these bugs are more visible? Or perhaps there's already a way, but I just
> don't know about it?

You only need to look for bugs in the source package, like this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autopilot/+bugs. Using specific
tags also helps, if you feel you need more filtering. The launchpad team
and the subscription thing I mentioned in my email were to be able to spot
such bugs easily, as it's not possible to see all bugs across selected
packages using the Launchpad UI.

Cheers,

> Cheers,
> --