Giving developers access to requeue package imports [Was: Ubuntu Platform developers BOF session?]

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 13 21:51:40 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 04:38:17PM -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2013, at 04:28 PM, Stéphane Graber wrote:
>
> >For UDD, if we can't commit to the branch, then there's zero benefit in
> >even using it as the source branch as I could just as well use apt-get
> >source, which will get me the current package from the archive (which
> >UDD doesn't necessarily give me...), then apply changes and push that.
>
> For simple package changes, you could have a point, but I rarely encounter
> simple package changes specifically in Ubuntu.  Usually I'm merging a new
> upstream, or Debian version, and then local version control is often a
> godsend.  Sometimes the merge goes badly, or you have conflicts, or it's not
> enough to get a working Ubuntu package.  I can do the merge, commit that local
> change, and then do further commits locally as I refine the package to build
> and work properly.  I can diff between revisions, revert changes, etc.
> E.g. all the benefits of version control.  I can create side branches of my
> main branch to try things out, then merge them back into my main branch.  All
> this is especially useful if you are working on a package over some span of
> time.
>
> apt-get source is like performing without a net.  Let's say you head down the
> wrong path while updating a package.  It's very difficult to backup and try
> again, take side travels for experimentation, etc.  Oh, and chdist is nice,
> but I prefer having ubuntu:<series>{,-proposed}/<package> branches.

Well, to be fair my fallback process when not doing UDD is:
 - pull-lp-source <package> <series>
 - cd */
 - bzr init && bzr add && bzr commit -m "current"
 - Do whatever changes, commit when needed, revert, ...
 - bzr bd -S
 - dput

Which based on what you described about commitless UDD seems pretty much
identical with the significant improvement that I don't have to grab the
whole branch on top of that :)

I could also push and share that temporary branch with others and
there'd be no downside to this since I wouldn't be able to merge that
branch back into the UDD one anyway.

At least for me, UDD without commit rights, would mean lost granularity
in some changes I'm doing in the archive, for example for some of the
edubuntu packages I've had dozens of commits before an actual upload,
and I quite enjoy having that present in the UDD history, loosing that
ability would be loosing much of UDD's benefits.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer