Giving developers access to requeue package imports [Was: Ubuntu Platform developers BOF session?]

Barry Warsaw barry at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 13 20:33:59 UTC 2013

On Nov 13, 2013, at 11:32 AM, Steve Langasek wrote:

>But I think it would be more interesting to get a permanent fix for this
>bug:
>
>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/udd/+bug/714622
>
>This accounts for the problem people have mentioned, that core packages are
>much more likely to have failed imports.  The importer badly needs fixed to
>not throw up its hands when the revision ID of a tag has changed; it should
>only care about this when the branch contents are wrong.
>
>This single bug accounts for just under half of all importer failures, and
>is a failure scenario that the importer *could*, with sufficient smarts,
>resolve automatically.

This may be controversial, but (except for trying to fix error conditions), I
think we should disallow all developer pushes to UDD branches and only let the
importer write to them.  It's simply too error prone otherwise, and there's no
good reason for it.

One possible reason for developers to push to UDD branches is to share the
code with other people, or to avoid the lag in importer runs.  Of course the
former can be easily handled by pushing to a personal branch.  The latter?  Oh
well, I can live with that for error-free branches. ;)

A long time ago I decided never to push UDD branches and always let the
importer update them.  I've never regretted that or encountered problems with
that discipline.

Cheers,
-Barry