Handling of layout/input methods in Unity: what should we do for the LTS?

Loïc Minier loic.minier at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 13 16:49:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> *  keep pushing forward to try to solve those issues (e.g move the
> keygrabbing to compiz, look at where we stand there).
>
> That should give us a mostly working system, but:
> - it means increasing changes before a LTS, which has potential to
> create new issues
> - we are not sure that applications are going to be fixed before the
> LTS, and how much of an annoyance that's going to be for our users
> - we are spending more efforts on trying to fix things for
> Unity7/xorg, for a problem that is going to go away with Unity8/Mir
> (things are going to work differently under Mir/wayland)

How will the Mir/Wayland approach look like?  Could we leverage it for
Unity 7?

> * roll back to what we had until 13.04

We can't ship Unity 8 in the desktop for 14.04 due to the dependency on
Mir, so since we picked the "ship known good / stable stack in 14.04
desktop" approach, it would be consistent to pick the good / stable old
way of switching keyboard layouts and handling shortcuts -- unless it's
a lot of work to rollback, in comparison to moving to the new world.

>From a risk point of view, the second option seems like the safest one,
but from an efforts point of view this depends on how much work it is to
produce an Unity 8 image with a new keyboard layouts / shortcuts
solution + finding a solution for Ubuntu Desktop.

--
Loïc Minier