Boot-related updates in raring: forwarding upstart support to Debian

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Sun May 19 01:51:55 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-18 18:14, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Now that Debian jessie is open for development, and a few packages
> (lsb/insserv/sysvinit/debhelper) have been updated in saucy, at long
> last
> there is an implementation of upstart support in Debian that's
> compatible
> with Ubuntu.
>
> This means that it's now possible to forward our patches for upstart
> job
> support to Debian!  When doing merges this cycle on packages that ship
> upstart jobs, I would encourage you to look at whether these are in a
> state
> to be forwarded upstream.

\o/

There's a side note to this which is rather complicated. Most upstart
jobs should just use 'start on runlevel [2345]' and 'stop on runlevel
[016]'. However, for those that use events, great care must be taken to
make sure those events are stable in all upstart using distributions. I
feel that we should document this fact and encourage users to submit any
new events they use to upstart-devel at lists.ubuntu.com.

Perhaps we should consider moving debian/manpages/upstart-events.7 to
the upstream code base to try and curb too much diversion.