Fwd: App indicators in Java

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Mon May 6 03:57:04 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-05-05 at 21:06 +0200, Marlin Cremers wrote:
> I'm working on a Java application that needs to integrate with Ubuntu.
> Because there is not a nice way of integration with Unity I'm using a
> Python script that creates a app indicator. But I'm looking to
> integrate with the sync menu that came in Ubuntu 13.04. Is this
> possible in Python if so. How would I do that?

For the Sync menu you can use libsync-menu1 to access it and add items.
You might also want to grab libsync-menu-dev.  For the Python bindings
we're relying on GObject Introspection for them, so you can add the
library like this:

        from gi.repository import SyncMenu

You might also look at the Java project to provide GObject
Introspection.  I haven't used it myself, but it looks like it's likely
to have most of what you'd need completed already:

        https://live.gnome.org/JGIR

Ted