irqbalance and at daemons by default?

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 26 13:55:39 UTC 2013

On 26/03/2013 18:38, Daniel J Blueman wrote:
> When setting up Ubuntu servers and desktops, two daemons I always
> remove are the atd and irqbalance.
>
> irqbalance is perhaps good when you have a server with quad-port NIC
> with a high rate of small packets and have found it to benefit over
> the kernel's interrupt allocation (but wastes time and energy
> otherwise); finally, the demographic who know and use the at daemon
> must be >1% surely.
>
> What justification do we have for continuing forcing these on users by
> default? (and can we win back some a slightly leaner, securer setup by
> revisiting this logic?)

I'm not sure you win much back:
 - apt-cache show at | sed -n 's/^Size: //p' => 37376
 - ps -C atd -o cputime,etime => 00:00:00 8-03:30:27
 - ps -C atd -o rss => 68

So all in all, 37.4k of disk space, 68k of memory, and approximately 0 seconds
of CPU time out of 8d 3h.

Are there many security vulnerabilities in atd?

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin