Timescale on QMl-ification of Ubuntu Desktop

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 12 15:24:42 UTC 2013

On 12 March 2013 14:25, Chris Wilson <notgary at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I was wondering how long it will likely take to move the QML versions of
> Unity and the Core Apps to the desktop? If the existing selection of apps
> are due to be replaced, then I'm wondering how worthwhile it is to continue
> are work on them.

At the moment, the plan currently targets to have unity on mir by 14.04.
There is a target/priority to write core apps with the touch interface
for mobile and tablet sizes.
I'm speculating that some, but not all core desktop apps will
transition to qml. I'm not sure what's the status of the desktop qml
components is at the moment.
That means it is worthwhile to continue to work on existing stack of
core apps for the next 2 - 6 years (current support cycles + support
cycle of the next lts if a given app stays as it is).
Which is a stable and large enough timeline, that anything could
change in between =)

Regards,

Dmitrijs.