reflecting on first UDS session on "rolling releases"

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Sun Mar 10 23:40:56 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Rob wrote:
> On 10 March 2013 14:38, Steve Langasek <steve.langasek at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> > Our SRU policy reflects this: we only allow updates to stable releases for
> > specific bugfixes, and don't allow other changes.
>
> ... except for firefox. And kernels.
>
> -Rob

And for LibreOffice. Except that it doesnt work, when even a SRU suggested for
the *LTS release* gets first submitted on 2012-11-02 and gets struck in the SRU
queue so long that it receives updates on 2012-11-28, 2013-01-10 and 2013-01-24
for additional issues found and fixed in the meantime to finally hit the repo
on 2013-02-15 -- some three and a half months later. Anyone rejecting rolling
releases outright for keeping 'business as usual' is mistaking the map for the
territory.

Best,

Bjoern