reflecting on first UDS session on "rolling releases"

Steve Magoun steve.magoun at canonical.com
Thu Mar 7 18:57:40 UTC 2013

On 03/07/2013 01:15 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Thursday, March 07, 2013 12:40:44 PM Steve Magoun wrote:
>> 3) Stability is critical and the quality standards are high. Functionality
>> like suspend/resume has to be rock-solid. To date, even the LTS releases
>> need tweaks before they're stable enough to be delivered to OEMs.
>
> Have all these changes be "upstreamed" back to Ubuntu?

The vast majority of the stability fixes and other changes from Canonical's
enablement program are implemented directly in Ubuntu, either as Stable
Release Updates or as patches applied to the currently in-development
version of Ubuntu.

Most of our changes go into the kernel and related plumbing for hardware
enablement, but we have invested significant time in other components as
well (ubiquity and unity are two examples).

At any given time there are changes that are in the process of being
upstreamed but have not yet hit Ubuntu or Ubuntu's upstream. One of
Canonical's goals here is to avoid maintaining separate kernels or forked
packages for our preload customers, so we are motivated to keep push as much
upstream as possible.

Steve