reflecting on first UDS session on "rolling releases"

Stefano Rivera stefanor at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 7 14:43:18 UTC 2013

Hi Scott (2013.03.07_16:27:02_+0200)
> > These are users who otherwise would use the LTS, but need some
> > particular feature or version of some program that is newer than the
> > LTS.
>
> This is exactly the case that backports are for.  I don't think users who want
> a generally stable experience, but need a thing or two newer are at all
> candidates for running the development release.

Except for more complex HWE situations. (e.g. something that needs an
entirely new network-manager modem-manager stack)

Getting an official backport is still quite hard, though.
* You have to know exactly what it is that you need backported
  (sometimes it's non-trivial to determine)
* Then build the backport, which could be easy (no-change backport of
  one package) or really hard
* Then file the backport bug, to request it for other people.
  At this point, your own needs are satisfied, so you are doing this for
  altruism and reproducibility.
* Finally, someone has to review and sponsor the backport. That can take
  ages.

We've gone a long way to making backports easier, but I don't think
there's much low-hanging fruit left. We can provide more help, and
spread the word that backports can be easy. That's about it?

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/