reflecting on first UDS session on "rolling releases"

Allison Randal allison at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 6 15:34:55 UTC 2013

On 03/06/2013 07:13 AM, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
> On 06/03/2013 16:19, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
>> There are three parts to Rick's proposal:
>> 1.  dropping non-LTS releases
>> 2.  making the development version a "rolling release" stable enough
>>      for enthusiast use
>> 3.  introducing monthly snapshots.

As the conversation runs on, these "enthusiasts" appear to be a smaller
and smaller subset of the Ubuntu user base. So, we're investing enormous
engineering effort in a small subset of users, and very little
engineering effort in the user experience of the "majority" of users on
the LTS.

Also remember that, as the idea currently stands, the tiny set of
"enthusiasts" are the only people who will get updated versions of
applications. The majority of users will have a stale experience, and no
reasonable alternative.

> Thanks for that. Apologies if it's been posted before and I somehow
> missed it, but is there a wiki page or something with the proposal as it
> exists today?

Not yet. The idea is still in rapid flux on the mailing list and in UDS
sessions. I anticipate a draft proposal on wiki.ubuntu.com in a week-ish
after UDS.

Allison