Avoiding fragmentation with a rolling release

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Tue Mar 5 08:46:56 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 03:34:33PM +0000, Evan Dandrea wrote:
> > "From exceptions to segfaults" is quite a harsh exaggeration.
>
> >> from gi.repository import GdkX11
> >> GdkX11.get_default_xdisplay()
> [1]    10593 segmentation fault (core dumped)  ipython

That should just be fixed. It should not segfault, no matter if you're
calling it wrong or not.

> >> import gtk
> >> gtk.gdk.display_get_default()
> None
>
> Also:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/950087
>
> Now one can argue as you did in the latter bug report that the developer is
> doing it wrong, but this is the sort of problem that did not exist with pygtk.

Totally agree, but please file such bugs upstream.

Gobject introspection is used a lot upstream, but obviously they'll not
hit all the bugs that are possible. Please file upstream. A segfault is
just wrong.

> Or we could keep creating choose your own adventures of pain:
> http://blogs.adobe.com/penguinswf/files/penguinswf/linuxaudio.png
>
> And watch as hundreds of thousands more interesting applications are written
> for other platforms while we're stuck with the handful written by the toolkit
> maintainers.

Linux is not far off with other operating systems regarding audio
implementations from what I've heard (not a developer). Also noteworthy
to note that Lennart said that the way Flash used PulseAudio was weird
at best. Not the best material to quote.

--
Regards,
Olav