Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Mon Mar 4 20:42:30 UTC 2013

On 3/3/13 4:54 PM, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 02, 2013 at 11:36:45AM +0100, Nicolas Delvaux wrote:
>> On Fri, 2013-03-02 at 09:32 +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
>>> I'm surprised, because when I hunt around for people talking about
>>> their experiences running raring I've generally found them favourably
>>> contrasting its stability with that of prior development releases.
>>> Indeed I hear that one group (the French loco, was it?) started
>>> referring to it as "boring", which IMO is an excellent result. :-)
>>
>> For example, in the last few hours, French testers have complained about
>> packages such as Skype or Wine that were removed by a dist-upgrade.
>
> I would be happy to debug such things given the output of 'apt-get -o
> Debug::pkgProblemResolver=true dist-upgrade'.  (The last such example I
> saw turned out to be due to raring-proposed being erroneously enabled,
> and disabling it fixed the problem.)

Likely one of:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/winetricks/+bug/1123710
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gettext/+bug/954029

In this case I suspect I need to SRU the fix to 12.10 because apt will
in some cases look at the recommends of the currently installed package
rather than the to-be-upgraded-to package when doing resolution.