Avoiding fragmentation with a rolling release

Philipp Kern pkern at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 4 09:48:16 UTC 2013

Michael,

am Sun, Mar 03, 2013 at 10:48:21AM -0500 hast du folgendes geschrieben:
> Does Zynga have to provide a different version of their games for each
> different version of Android they support, or does Android give them
> backwards-compatibility so that they can target 2.2 but still run on
> 4.2?  I'm not an android developer, but I would assume it's the
> latter.  We could only do the same if we could ensure that the APIs
> available in an LTS would continue to be available in the following
> rolling release (at least up until the next LTS).

depends. At least you can instruct the Play Store to push different
versions to different devices. The Play Store will then show "Varies
with device" for the version of the app package. Depending on how
much effort you put into it you can also get along with just one
version. Google recommends this, too.

Kind regards
Philipp kern