Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

Alan Bell alanbell at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 1 21:13:32 UTC 2013

For the "monthly" option as I understand it this means once a month you
get todays latest stuff. Next month you upgrade from last months latest
stuff to todays latest stuff.
This is not really what I want, if I want to take a conservative
attitude to life. What I want is to be the penguin at the back of the
crowd when we jump into the water - if the first few in get eaten, that
is fine because it won't be me. When I get in the water will be safe.
http://hellenicpolytheist.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/killer_whale_eating_penguins-jump-in-air.jpg

What I want is not a "monthly" release, but a "today - 1 month" daily
repo. This would automatically be identical to the daily repository, but
a month behind in time - unless something goes wrong and a release of a
package is tagged as "this one eats penguins/breaks grub/X doesn't
start" in which case that release of that package would be skipped in
the "today - 1 month" repo. I am not worried about having frequent
updates, I just want them to have been tested for the presence of large
marine predators.

Alan.