12.10 upgrade path - Re: Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 1 17:51:43 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 06:24:59PM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Perhaps it would make sense to extend 12.10 support by 6 months to give 12.10
> users a decent interval to upgrade.

Agreed.  I understand the desire to cut costs, but giving people zero
days to switch over after we didn't tell them our plans [1] in advance
of their installing 12.10 seems a bit much to me.  I think we would have
to eat the cost of supporting 12.10 for a bit longer as the price of not
being properly organised about this.

[1] And indeed AFAIK didn't have those plans; applying this to 13.04 is
    a very recent proposal even within Canonical.