Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

Dmitry Shachnev mitya57 at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 1 17:20:11 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> - Create and use -experimental pocket (as suggested by Stefano) for
>> testing unstable changes and handling transitions;
>
> I can understand why people ask for this, but new pockets are very
> complex to create due to extensive hardcoding of pocket semantics in
> Launchpad; they aren't something we can do easily or flexibly.

We can just use a centralized PPA then (for example, the desktop team
already stages their experimental packages in their PPA). The only
problem will be with managing upload rights to that PPA.

> Serious question: why is GTK+ materially different from the core KDE
> libraries, which typically seem to be updated (even if only by minor
> releases) as part of KDE version bumps?

Because updating Gtk+ can potentially break the Unity stack and some
components of GNOME we are using in Ubuntu Desktop. Updating core KDE
libraries can break only KDE apps, which are updated to a compatible
version.

--
Dmitry Shachnev