Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 1 16:56:39 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 05:46:19AM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Loïc Minier [2013-02-28 18:18 +0100]:
[...]
> > >  * What is the purpose of these snapshots, i. e. who would use them?
> > >    If all our published daily images are good enough to install, boot,
> > >    and get you into a desktop, and we wouldn't do significantly more
> > >    QA on the "monthly" ones anyway, what makes these images special?
> >
> > We need to bless "good" installation media in some way
>
> My point is, we should never even have bad installation media on
> cdimage. If they fail smoketests, they should not even be published,
> or at least not be pointed to with the /current symlink.

The latter option (publish immediately, symlink only after passing
tests) would be simpler to implement and is probably the most plausible
way to do this; after all if you don't publish them at all on cdimage
then you have to invent some new way to publish them to jenkins for
smoke-testing.  It would require something to check in on test results
every so often, but that probably isn't too hopelessly difficult.