Avoiding fragmentation with a rolling release

Loïc Minier loic.minier at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 1 10:39:00 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> > I'm not sure how you'd deliver security updates between monthlies
> > though?
> The way I was seeing it, you turn off APT updates from the regular archive,
> but leave them in place for the security archive.  In between monthlies you
> fetch security updates from that archive.  When the next monthly comes
> around as part of applying that update, you remove the deltas that were put
> in place from the interim security updates.

How would you deliver a security update that depends on a changed
library package name?  e.g. libfooX becomes libfooY after your monthly
is released, a security update for a package using libfooY comes out,
people who use -security would only see the new package but not libfooY.

Or you need to build -security against some archive with packages from
the last monthly; the proposal in the blueprint is to use "raring" as
this archive for building security updates and copy raring-updates only
monthly to raring.

(the SONAME change is just an example, there might be more subtle cases
like transitions which involve only versioned dependencies -- that we
sometimes don't properly add during development)

--
Loïc Minier