Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Fri Mar 1 10:18:19 UTC 2013

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 09:18:11 +0100, Tarmo Alexander Sundström
<ta at sundstrom.im> wrote:

> Actually this whole rolling release proposition starts to sound like...
> Debian :)
>
> stable = LTS
> testing = Rolling Release
> unstable = staging area for dev work / raring-proposed

Seems like a logical solution to me. At least one would like to have a
-proposed repo for new additions. For a rolling release, isn't every
addition really a stable release update?

Even though we in the Ubuntu Studio team do not handle packaging for
Ubuntu outside of our own custom packages (ubuntustudio-*), we'd be very
much interested in doing QA for multimedia packages. If not for the whole
spectrum of what's available, then at least for the most common and
important ones.

We'd like to have the opportunity to stop an update, if we find a severe
regression, and stop the package from being released until we are able to
fix the bug by either patching it or syncing it with any of the upstream
alternatives.