Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

Bhavani Shankar R bhavi at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 1 07:21:32 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Stefano Rivera <stefanor at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi Scott (2013.03.01_06:55:18_+0200)
>> > I fully agree, and this is not even limited to the kernel. There are
>> > other kinds of "major transitions" like switching to a new X.org
>> > server, preparing a new major Qt or GNOME release, new eglibc, etc. Or
>> > we want to do a complex transition such as moving from ConsoleKit to
>> > logind.
>> >
>> > For those we'll need temporary staging areas which are not put into
>> > the RR yet until they get a sufficient amount of testing; these could
>> > be "topic PPAs" which interested people would enable and develop in,
>> > which get landed into the RR when everything is ready?
>>
>> For people or teams that are largely or entirely !canonical, this only works
>> if all you care about is x86 (i386/amd64).  Anything for armhf (or powerpc)
>> would have to land untested since the PPAs that are available for !canonical
>> don't build these architectures.
>
> It feels like an -experimental pocket would be the best solution here.
> Which we would try to keep small, but could stage major transitions in.

+1 here as it would allow some package transitions (esp with those
which have some impact) to be uploaded at a point where lets say a
freeze is defined and its nearby so that we can upload packages and
test them and then if its working fine, it gets moved into a much
stabler pocket by which this wouldn’t cause  a disturbance in the
release pocket.

Regards,

--
Bhavani Shankar