Ubuntu graphic stack roadmap update

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 27 20:00:09 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-06-27 at 09:44 -0700, Kees Cook wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 08:41:51AM -0600, Oliver Ries wrote:
> > Ubuntu 13.10:
> > XMir on Mir by default, with a fallback session to X where there is no Mir
> > driver support, supported for 9 months
>
> While I recognize this is a roadmap, this seems unrealistic to me. I feel
> there has been a long history of adopting things as default too early. With
> bugs like "vt switching doesn't work", and feature freeze in 2 months, I
> think it is way too early to declare something ready for default. Certainly
> ship it, make it available, but don't make it the default. Doing so would
> just make unwilling testers out Ubuntu users. Let people interested in the
> software test it, and once there is a trusted level of stability and
> features, make it the default.

While I understand your concerns, I think there's a balance here to
avoid major transitions in the possible LTS-cycle.  I'd rather see us
take a riskier 13.10 to remove risk for 14.04 than push off that risk.
Clearly shipping an unusable 13.10 is not acceptable, but I think
setting a goal and evaluating that is a better approach here.

Perhaps what would be most productive is to figure out the bugs that are
must fix and a time line that they must be fixed in or where a revert is
necessary.

Ted