Ubuntu graphic stack roadmap update

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 27 18:36:31 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Oliver Ries <oliver.ries at canonical.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>

> My name is Olli Ries from Canonical and I am the Engineering Director for
> Unity and Mir. I wanted to give you an update on the roadmap for Ubuntu’s
> graphical stack over the next few releases.
>
> Our Display Server Mir has gone from a proof of concept, sufficient to
> justify its announcement in March this year, to high quality, high
> performance component that we think will deliver the fastest, cleanest
> display experience for the Ubuntu platform. We are confident that all
> desktop environments and derivatives will work well throughout the
> transition, based on our ability to provide a full X compatibility layer.
>
> Here is the roadmap and milestones for the Ubuntu graphics stack
> transition to Mir:
>
> Ubuntu 13.10:
> XMir on Mir by default, with a fallback session to X where there is no Mir
> driver support, supported for 9 months
>
> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
> XMir as default with the fallback session removed, full Mir driver
> support, traditional LTS support for 5 years
>
> Ubuntu 14.10 and beyond:
> Mir stack as default, including rootless X support for legacy X
> applications, supported for 9 months
>
> XMir: X & Unity7 running on top of the system compositor Mir
> Mir stack: Mir as system compositor with Unity 8 as session shell on top
>
> Using Mir as a X compatible system compositor in 14.04 which can host any
> Desktop Environment that is running on X today, will allow all dependent
> Ubuntu derivatives to run on top of this stack in 13.10 and 14.04 without
> any changes needed on their side [1]. Canonical is committed to support
> XMir for 5 years during the 14.04 lifecycle, which will give derivatives
> enough time to evaluate the graphics stack landscape and to make informed
> decisions when they are ready.
>
> There is good progress in getting XMir into a distro ready state. A PPA
> [2] was setup to allow early dogfooding, daily landing tests will be turned
> on for the full stack (XMir, X, Compiz, Unity), automated performance test
> results are about to be published on the Ubuntu QA dashboard, inclusion to
> universe is on it’s way and we are preparing the MIR (see what I did there
> ;) for Mir ahead of Feature Freeze. Quality and ship criteria will be
> assessed and made available at that time.
>
> However, please be aware that the PPA today is still tagged
> experimental/testing and will see rapid changes over the next couple of
> weeks.  We will invite you for more widespread testing when ready.
>
> Feel free to discuss any questions with the team directly here or on the
> mir-devel list.
>
> Ubuntu will be the first Linux distribution to start replacing X as part
> of their default configuration. We appreciate your support and patience in
> that endeavor.
>
> best,
> Olli
>

> [1]: various flavors running unmodified on top of XMir -
> [...]

I have a question regarding what this will mean for the HWE backport that
should be happening into Ubuntu 12.04 shortly after Ubuntu 13.10 is
released (.4 point release)?  Will the "regular" X stack and kernel be
backported or will this mean that XMir and Mir would be coming back in the
backport too?

--
Mario Limonciello
superm1 at ubuntu.com