Ubuntu graphic stack roadmap update

Oliver Ries oliver.ries at canonical.com
Thu Jun 27 15:51:33 UTC 2013

Hi Jeremy,

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Jeremy Bicha <jbicha at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 27 June 2013 10:41, Oliver Ries <oliver.ries at canonical.com> wrote:
> > Using Mir as a X compatible system compositor in 14.04 which can host any
> > Desktop Environment that is running on X today, will allow all dependent
> > Ubuntu derivatives to run on top of this stack in 13.10 and 14.04 without
> > any changes needed on their side [1]. Canonical is committed to support
> XMir
> > for 5 years during the 14.04 lifecycle, which will give derivatives
> enough
> > time to evaluate the graphics stack landscape and to make informed
> decisions
> > when they are ready.
>
> Thanks for the update. I have quite a few questions...
>
> I was under the understanding that Ubuntu 13.10 would still use
> regular X by default (like 13.04) and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS would be using
> Unity 8 but it sounds like that's not today's plan.

not with what was communicated with todays roadmap update. Unity 7 will be
the default desktop until 14.04, we will then assess whether Unity 8 is
ready to become the default.

> Like Kubuntu we expect to switch to Wayland in the next year or so.
> It's nice to see that the various desktop environment can run on XMir
> but I'm still not clear on whether there are any benefits to doing so.

One obvious benefit that comes to mind is getting the stack for free and
not having to worry about maintenance. I do acknowledge that there are
other costs associated to that (adopting to Mir), but in our opinion, that
should be less than maintaining a GFX stack on your own. Canonical will
support the Mir stack going forward and we are offering help for upstreams
willing to adopt.

> How do you expect things to work for users who need proprietary
> graphics drivers in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS? Do the existing NVIDIA and ATI
> drivers work with XMir yet?

We are committed to not regress anybody in 14.04, the availability of
binary drivers is one major component to that

> Mir currently requires LightDM, right? Does XMir also require LightDM?
> For Ubuntu GNOME's purposes, LightDM so far doesn't provide quite the
> integrated experience GDM does (specifically lockscreen and GNOME
> theming; and next year, Wayland support).

today, XMir is invoked by LightDM similar to other X session compositors, I
don't see a problem doing the same out of GDM. But I leave it to my team to
keep me honest here ;)

> > Ubuntu will be the first Linux distribution to start replacing X as part
> of
> > their default configuration. We appreciate your support and patience in
> that
> > endeavor.
>
> I think Rebecca Black OS has you beat there. Unless you don't think
> Rebecca Black is mainstream enough...

I did some research and apparently missed that, no offense intended

> There's a chance that Fedora 20 would be released with Wayland by
> default before 14.04 LTS

imho there is a difference between a chance of doing it and putting out a
roadmap and committing to do it, but I might be nitpicking ;)

cheers,
Olli