Simple(r) sbuild setup

Michał Sawicz michal.sawicz at canonical.com
Sat Jun 22 01:21:33 UTC 2013

Hey all,

Adding tests to our build process has proven to be a hit'n'miss effort
for a bit - not having a build setup closely resembling the PPA / distro
ones made it so that even if a package went through CI (pbuilder) fine,
it sometimes failed in the PPA due to some intricacies of the setup, or
simply missing dependencies.

I've been happily using an sbuild setup (with apt-cacher-ng and building
on shm - blazing fast!) based on [1] and [2], but the amount of
information you're not generally interested in when you want to just try
a build locally on that Wiki page made it so I couldn't really recommend
going through it to anyone.

I've spent some hours today to prepare a simple (erm... simpler - still
ended up quite big, not nearly as short as with pbuilder-scripts) guide
[3] on how to set it all up.

Thanks Barry for pointing me at all that in the first place!

Hope it helps and speeds up our lives, if only just by a bit.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/BuildEnvironment
[2]
http://www.wefearchange.org/2011/09/sbuild-with-local-newer-dependencies.html
[3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SimpleSbuild