Unity8 & Mir Weekly Report Jun 21, 2013

Kevin Gunn kevin.gunn at canonical.com
Fri Jun 21 19:44:09 UTC 2013

Hi all,

hope all finds you well. we've had quite a bit of goodness find its way
into the touch builds.

*Unity8 & Mir weekly report**
*Jun 21, 2013*
*

*Current Team Theme*

   - Integrate Unity8 onto Mir
   - Add in application launching
      - institute daily builds
      - fine tune ui elements with design
   - Renewed focus on xMir
      - multimonitor
      - xmir comp bypass
   - As always  live action here
   -
      https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/client-1303-unity-ui-iteration-0
      -
      https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/client-1303-mir-phone-iteration-0
      - and all the dependent blueprints

*Acheived this week**
*

   - Unity8 on Mir
   - unity8 & mir teams now all working on saucy touch
      - PPA now available for Unity8 on Mir for Ubuntu Touch here
      https://launchpad.net/~phablet-team/+archive/mir
         - note, it is a seperate but parallel build of ubuntu touch (so
         ubuntu touch still doesn't have mir intro'd)
         - shell is still a bit dumb, no app launching yet
         - build instructions still here
         http://studio.sketchpad.cc/gmY0M6iqeh? and getting cleaner every
         day
      - Mir

   - Updated api's for window management needs for Unity8 (focus control,
      visibility etc)
      - created support for surface snapshot to be used by the shell for
      transition effects
      - added buffer swapper mech (e.g. go from double to triple, in/out of
      bypass etc)
      - fixed several bugs around xmir for bootup reliability & x
      acceleration
      - made components associate with gpu backends for mir pluggable
      - some progress made in creating a mir-on-mir stack (e.g. unity8 on
      mir on mir system compositor, hoping to feed the 13.10 preview of unity8)
      - made some progress on android composition bypass, a hack for
      feasability
         - working with binaries proving to be a little challenge for this
         feature
         - note, setting android compositino bypass on the back burner to
         focus on some multimonitor work & mir-on-mir
      - Unity8 UI
   - migrated, now in lp:unity/8.0 (as opposed to lp:unity/phablet)
      - Infographics on the device and looking awesome
      - Notifications has landed, and in the build
      - dash also now integrated with latest scopes backend
      - pin/passphrase lockscreen now added
      - integrated our edge touch "directional drag area" use by bottom bar
      - iterating on our development for indicator clients
      - iterating on listviewwithpageheader reimplementation

*Shooting for next week*

   - Mir
      - continue work supporting Unity8-mir window management, working
      towards a daily build
      - merge unity-system-compositor related lightdm changes back into
      trunk
      - create bzr mirror for mir related mesa & xorg patches
      - dive into multimonitor support for xmir
      - continue with mir-on-mir developement
   - Unity8 UI
      - followup with some design team feeback tweaks on infographics,
      notification & launcher as needed
      - finish up indicator clients, start working with design on any ux
      changes
      - continue working on dash integration & ui improvements
      - land listviewwithpageheader rewrite
      - start greeter on mir integration
      - add in application management into the unity8-mir stack, so we can
      launch apps
      - integrate against surface snapshot for view transitions (e.g.
      animation of swiping from one app to the next)

*Risks and Issues*

   - just started finishing up indicators designs/ux, really need to get it
   nailed asap