non-Unity flavours and Mir

Julien Lavergne gilir at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 18 21:37:50 UTC 2013

2013/6/18 Jeremy Bicha <jbicha at ubuntu.com>:
> On 18 June 2013 02:00, Aigars Mahinovs <aigarius at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Based solely on comments from this thread, as far as I understand, both
>> Ubuntu and KDE will maintain the ability to work with X for the foreseeable
>> timeframe, so this more of a question on which happens first - Ubuntu
>> stopping support for X based desktop environments (unlikely to be very soon,
>> given the popularity of XFCE and friends) or KWin dropping X support in
>> favour of Wayland-only solution (also unlikely to be quite soon given how
>> many distros are not shipping Wayland by default yet).
>>
>> There might theoretically be new features that work on Mir (or Wayland), but
>> not on X, but those are likely to be minor and more related to boot and/or
>> user switching rather than actual work.
>
> I think you're mixing up two different concepts: support for running X
> apps and support for running X as the system display server. As I
> mentioned before, my guess is that GNOME will only work with Wayland
> as system display server within a year or two. Similarly, I expect
> Unity to only work with Mir as the system display server for either
> 14.04 LTS or 14.10. Developers are not switching to Mir or Wayland for
> theoretical minor features, but to finally move past long-standing
> issues with the X stack that impact users.
>
> Obviously everyone will still support running legacy X apps for at
> least the next few years.

Speaking for Lubuntu, this point is my first concern before even
thinking about migration to MIR or Wayland : what will be the support
and Canonical support for X in the next releases ? For example, is X
will be maintained in 14.04 as a LTS component ? Are other flavors can
count on it to build a LTS version for 14.04 ? I can't imagine an LTS
for at least Xubuntu (and all Xfce based flavors) and Lubuntu without
a LTS support for this critical piece of the OS.

Regards,
Julien Lavergne