non-Unity flavours and Mir

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at canonical.com
Tue Jun 18 04:52:56 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>wrote:

> On Monday, June 17, 2013 09:52:49 PM Oliver Ries wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Scott Kitterman
> <ubuntu at kitterman.com>wrote:
> Part of the problem is that no one outside Canonical know enough to really
> have an informed opinion.  Here are some immediate questions that come to
> mind:
>
>  - How invasive would Mir integration be?  Is it isolated enough that it
> could
> be integrated upstream based on our testing?

It depends on how KWin plans to support non-X display servers.

Options that I know of are:
a) KWin implements a Wayland display server component from scratch (a lot
of work)
b) KWin is a plugin to Weston
c) KWin uses an existing Wayland display server library (none exist that I
know of)

In case a) you would need to implement a Mir backend as well as a Wayland
backend
In case b) you would need a libmirserver backend in Weston
In case c) you would have to modify the library or it would need to allow
backends to be added

  - What's the time line?  When , if we follow along with Ubuntu, would we
> expect to run with XMir instead of X and when would we expect to integrate
> with MIR natively?

We're aiming to be able to preview XMir in 13.10. We're doing the work
right now to integrate Unity 7 with XMir.

  - When will MIR have a stable API/ABI?

The plan is for libmirserver to have a stable API/ABI by the time we
release Unity 8 (again, around the 13.10 timeframe). We are stabilising
libmirclient at the moment since it has more consumers than the server API.
Though we would expect more functionality to be added to both APIs post
13.10.