non-Unity flavours and Mir

Oliver Ries oliver.ries at canonical.com
Tue Jun 18 03:52:49 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>wrote:

> On Friday, June 14, 2013 11:09:25 AM Oliver Ries wrote:
>
> [...]

> > in addition to that I just want to highlight, that Jono and I are working
> > on creating a forum for all interested Mir stakeholders (e.g. flavors,
> but
> > also ISVs and others) to discuss such issues and drive alignment.
> >
> > We hope to have an update on that next week.
>
> OK.
>
> See this is part of the problem.  I don't WANT to be a Mir stakeholder.  I
> want to focus my Kubuntu work on packaging KDE and making it work well.
> Historically, one of the great things about Kubuntu has been that we could
> rely on the work of the X team to give us a great display system with up to
> date hardware support that we didn't have to worry about.

with that I take that your concerns would be addressed if there was kwin
support in Mir.

I think Ubuntu as an OS platform for KUbuntu is interested in working with
you on that. The conflict that needs to be solved is between your upstream
(kwin) and the OS platform. From what I understand from this thread is that
the main concern there (leaving any ideological or political motivation
aside) is having to support a single distribution solution, which
admittedly is fair in a world of limited resources.

My team is committed to not lock out any *buntu flavor but provide you with
all means to still run on Ubuntu as an OS platform once Mir is an integral
part of that (which is why I am referring to you as a stakeholder at least
for the transition period).

As mentioned, we are planning to soon reach out to stakeholders and
dependent parties to discuss a plan forward on this topic. We sure would
appreciate your input in moving forward in a constructive discussion.

best,
Olli