non-Unity flavours and Mir

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 14 16:48:56 UTC 2013

hi,
On Fr, 2013-06-14 at 17:27 +0100, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 11:47:43PM +0800, Ma Xiaojun wrote:
> > KDE, this one is interesting. The one even tries to support
> > proprietary OS. The same also claim their CI has very limited distro
> > coverage so they cannot support distro specific feature. Maybe we
> > replace Kwin with something else then problem solved (KDE run on
> > proprietary OS without Kwin)
>
> KDE having some applications running on Windows and Mac is irrelevant
> to this conversation.
>
> We're not going to drop KDE's compositor and window manager.

is kwin upstream planning to drop X support as well ? seems running
kubuntu with kwin on top of XMir is no problem (unless i read other
mails in this thread wrong)

> > I believe that there is nothing technically wrong with Mir or it is
> > fixable. If upstreams have political problems, what can we do?
>
> It's not a case of technical problems it's a case of Mir being
> different for no paticular advantage.  It's a political problem of
> Canonical's making not KDE's.  And the question is indeed what can we
> do in Ubuntu.

the only person i personally see making massive unfounded political
statements (in three interviews on the front pages of german top tech
news sites) seems to be kwin upstream.

And i'm seeing ScottK picking up the same claim about "big amounts of
mesa bugs caused by Unity patches" in this thread ...

where is canonical making any political statements like that ? i think
the set of RAOFs blog posts explained the "why" behind Mir very well ...

ciao
	oli