non-Unity flavours and Mir

Thomas Voß thomas.voss at canonical.com
Fri Jun 14 15:46:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 5:35 PM, Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 05:25:29PM +0200, Thomas Voß wrote:
>
> Will this not affect drivers and create issues in complex areas like
> mesa?  Will KWin really just be able to treat this as any other X
> session?

I can only rely on our experience with running Unity7 (the current
version of Unity) on top of XMir, and that tells me that we haven't
hit any major issue, yet.

>> > What about when we move to Wayland?
>
>> if a Wayland backend for
>> talking to Mir exists, I don't see a reason why that shouldn't work
>
> But there's no plans to create that?

I'm not aware of any plans to create this backend, no. However, people
are free to create it if they see a need for it.

> Would Ubuntu Desktop be happy running in a Mir backend on top of Wayland?

I cannot speak for the whole of Ubuntu Desktop here, but the new Unity
stack will run on top of Mir, both system and session level.

HTH,

  Thomas