Future of Appmenu Outside Unity

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Wed Jul 24 01:01:34 UTC 2013

Since shortly after Mark announced the global menu [1] Kubuntu has shipped
plasma-widget-menubar to provide this functionality [2] and not only for
Qt/KDE, but for Gtk apps as well [3].  This has served us well on netbooks for
three years and I use it myself on a daily basis on a conventional laptop.

As of today [4], that's no longer possible.  Appmenu-gtk has been replaced by
unity-gtk-module, which (apparently intentionally) doesn't work outside Unity
[5].

Is this correct?  That's my impression, but I'm not aware of any discussion
this, so I may have missed something.

Scott K

[1] http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/359
[2] https://skitterman.wordpress.com/2010/07/08/global-menu-in-action-in-kubuntu-maverick/