Xorg was removed.. without an alternative

Seth Arnold seth.arnold at canonical.com
Wed Jul 10 23:36:35 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 07:17:24PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > > The issue is that it's only in the *devel* pre-release when it's not safe
> > > for humans to enable it. The GUI for enabling it needs to exist because
> > > there are scenarios where humans should be enabling it: people using older
> > > stable releases who are crippled by some bug or other, and need to test
> > > SRUs sooner rather than later.
> >
> > With this enabled, a "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" will not pull from
> > -proposed, but
> > sudo apt-get install xorg/saucy-proposed , would allow me to
> > forcefully install xorg from saucy-proposed, as an opt-in - per
> > package choice.
> >
> > [0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed
>
> What part of "not for humans" is confusing?

What will we do for SRU verification?

Will we introduce a new -proposed-for-humans pocket once Saucy
is released? Or will we need to go edit everything that once said
"saucy-proposed isn't for humans" to read "t-proposed isn't for humans"?

It seems so strange to spend six months saying "don't touch that" just
to turn around and then spend nine months begging people to touch that...