Call for votes: Developer Membership Board restaffing

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Jan 31 14:08:58 UTC 2013

On Thursday, January 31, 2013 03:03:52 PM Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 31.01.2013 14:51, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > I don't think having an intermediary between the DMB and the applicant is
> > good idea.  I think approximately that last thing we need is more
> > meetings.
>
> I didn't say that this needs to happen in a meeting format.
>
> In your earlier mail you said:
>
> 	"I like to seek them out and discuss it with them.
>          That way they can consider if they should apply or not"
>
> The suggestion to bring the Advisory Team and the Membership Board
> closer together is what I see exactly in the same spirit. We all don't
> want applicants to fail. So whatever helps to set expectations is going
> to be a good move.
>
> Right now the DMB doesn't hear from a number of developers who /are/
> ready for upload rights. The Advisory Team is actively reaching out to
> them, so that's is why I'm suggesting establishing communication
> channels, how formal, we can still decide.

I think it's great that the advisory team is doing this.  I have, in the past,
had to almost beg people who were clearly ready to apply.  This is a real
problem that it's a good thing you are tackling.  While the advisory team can,
and should, encourage and support applicants, I think we should be careful to
avoid making them an intermediary.

Scott K