KVM guest Buffer I/O errors

Matej matej at matnet.net
Sat Jan 26 09:04:05 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have an issue which is very similar to some others that I found
unsolved, such as:
- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/577785
- http://centos.distrosfaqs.org/centos-virt/guests-pausing-suddenly/
- http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1450439.html

I have 8 guests installed on an internal RAID and all of them work as
they should, except one (that is the largest of them and sadly, the most
important one). There are no drive problems reported in none of the
other host's logs. The most importantly, there is nothing in the host
system logs at all, but although it is so, we have replaced both drives
by new ones just out of the box. But the issue remains so I am pretty
sure it's now hardware-related, but have no more ideas what to do next.
I could just create a new guest and transfer the services and data, but
since this happened without me changing anything (at least
intentionally), I want to find out a reason why did it actually happen
and how to prevent it.

Any help or ideas on this matter are very welcome.

Thanks,
Matej