Intel SNA in Raring

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Tue Jan 8 19:33:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 08:09:49PM +0100, Gökçen Eraslan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Today, I have tried a Raring daily build and realized that UXA is still
> being used as the default acceleration method for
> xserver-xorg-video-intel (dh_auto_configure -- --enable-sna --enable-uxa
> --with-default-accel=uxa).
>
> Why isn't SNA preferred in alpha Raring? Isn't the alpha period best
> time to test and fix SNA bugs?

SNA has been under very active development the past couple years.  We've
been monitoring (and testing) this development, and providing it as an
opt-in option for users who wish to use it.  We evaluated enabling it
last cycle but were not certain about its stability across a wide
breadth of card models.

We likely will try again this cycle.  We are planning on an X.org stack
update rather late in the cycle, and if we include SNA we believe it
will be most stable with that stack; thus the lack of attention we've
given it right now - any testing we do now would have to be redone with
the newer code anyway.

If you want to help, one thing you can do right now is to install the
xorg-edgers PPA, enable SNA, and report any SNA-specific bugs you find
to upstream.

Thanks,
Bryce