Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Feb 28 21:38:08 UTC 2013

On Thursday, February 28, 2013 09:29:31 PM Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
> On 28 February 2013 20:57, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:

> >> I don't think KDE releases aligned perfectly with Ubuntu release, such
> >> that unlike before one can expect KDE full release to land much sooner
> >> in the rolling release (straight away) and with more general
> >> availability within one month. Instead of up-to 6 months (well
> >> something like 4-5).
> >> If I am not mistaken there has been in the past cases of shipping -rc
> >> stacks of gtk/kde and doing 0-day / 1st-week SRUs of the final
> >> releases. This is, in a way, "on-time" but defeats stability criteria
> >> for the users.
> >> KDE stacks have nightly builds and depending on how stable they are,
> >> one can start uploading them into rolling release at beta phase for
> >> example (or earlier / later). Thus giving full flexibility for Kubuntu
> >> to align as best as you choose to the KDE release cycles.
> >>
> >> Similarly for other Desktop Environments (XFCE, Fluxbox, MythTV etc).
> >> You can been as bleeding-edge or as stable as majority of your users
> >> expect you to.
> >
> > For KDE, I can't speak for the rest, we have shipped 4.X.2 (IIRC - I
> > didn't
> > actually go back and check) for all KDE4 based releases (8.10 and later)
> > with the exception of 10.10, where we shipped 4.5.1 + patches and did a
> > ~zero day SRU of 4.5.2 thanks to the 10.10.10 nonsense.
> >
> > In a development series we typically ship, over time, beta 1, beta 2, RC1,
> > RC2, .0, .1, and (usually) .2.  There is definitely a rise in maturity
> > through this progression which then drops off when we ship the first beta
> > in the next release.  AIUI, part of "rolling" is to provide a stable,
> > reliable, improving over time experience without significant regressions.
> >  I don't think we can continue to upload the early releases in a rolling
> > environment and accomplish that goal.  This is quite unfortunate, because
> > upstream KDE branches off of trunk at RC1 and many developers pay start
> > to focus on the next release then. Getting the KDE betas in front of a
> > large audience is important to testing being done early enough to affect
> > the end result.
> >
> > This is done now through the development release and a PPA dedicated for
> > pre- releases on the current release so that no one gets the beta without
> > having opted in in some manner.
> >
> > I'm still struggling with how to maintain the pace of testing and the
> > quality reliability goals of rolling.  I haven't figured out a good
> > solution yet.
> Thank you for the details. I'm looking at the past KDE release
> schedules and there appears to be a significant overlap between .4
> (sometimes .5) and the next cycle. What goes into .3+ ? I looks like
> there are updates/bugfixes to ship from previous series even at
> rc1/rc2 stages of the next release. I'm not that familiar with KDE
> releases (only used a couple of versions briefly), but it seems to me
> [...]

The post-release updates (.1 - .4/.5) are bug fix only developed using criteria
very similar to the Ubuntu SRU requirements, which is why we have a micro-
release exception for post release updates.

You make my point.  The development release will no longer be a suitable
landing place for KDE beta/RC releases, so we'll have to do that work in a PPA
under this proposal.  This will narrow our testing base and be a complication
when we have library transitions to deal with.

Scott K