Monthly snapshots Re: Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at
Thu Feb 28 20:42:13 UTC 2013

On Thursday, February 28, 2013 06:52:23 PM Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > Has there been any technical discussion about how this would work?  If so,
> > can we have a pointer to it?
> Adam and Colin were kind enough to bounce some ideas some days ago to
> prepare:
> the attached diagram sums up the flow in the proposal captured above
> We initially thought of snapshots of raring and just pocket-copying
> things to -security (not using -updates at all) but that might pull in
> updates from the rolling release via -security, so didn't seem adequate
> to provide security updates to users of the monthlies.
> > Is the snapshot a separate archive with a different sources.list entry and
> > moving to the next snapshot is like a mini release-upgrade?
> I guess it would just be apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade; no
> source.list changes from one monthly to the next.  Launchpad series are
> in too many places and would be too expensive to create/update monthly
> :-/
> We need an easy and solid way to switch between monthly and rolling
> though; a bit like the software-properties flags for update frequencies,
> which updates to install etc.

Thanks.  The picture helps a lot.  This is going to enormously complicate
update U/I since running with just updates enabled will mean something
completely different than it does for a regular release.

Scott K