Debian Sync - Re: Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 28 20:37:26 UTC 2013

Hey,

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 02:15:28PM -0600, Micah Gersten wrote:
> On 02/28/2013 02:11 PM, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> […]
> > Maybe this will also allow the Kubuntu developers to package the
> > KDE beta updates without needing to worry about those getting picked
> > up in the next (monthly?) update cycle.
> This won't help as using britney to block migration means that it won't
> get testing by end users.

Take what I'm saying in this mail with a pinch of salt as I haven't
thought enough about this yet, but (referring to the architectural
diagram for monthly releases elsewhere in-thread) it might be possible
to insert a block between raring-updates → raring AKA rolling → monthly
to prevent specific alpha/betas from going to the slightly-stabler
monthly releases. Meaning that fully rolling users can test (e.g.) KDE
alphas and users who desire slightly more stability can get that too.

Maybe not. It might be a design principle of monthly that it's a
snapshot of the daily release at that date so this kind of thing should
not be possible. If the block is used for anything with reverse deps or
spans more than one monthly (expected in a typical alpha-beta-rc-release
6 month cycle) then migration could get complicated and the monthly
release as a whole might suffer. But given that everything has already
gone through one migration you shouldn't get entanglement though; the
second migration should be easier.

But maybe it doesn't buy us enough; this would clearly only be able to
happen for a small set of packages (not "everything in Kubuntu", unless
we have flavour specific monthlies [can't see how that would work]) and
everything outside the narrowly defined list of blocked packages would
be free of any such constraints.

Ho hum. This mail has fewer answers than I had hoped when I started it.
Sorry for rambling. This kind of discussion can be had next week.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney at debian.org ]