Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

Leann Ogasawara leann.ogasawara at canonical.com
Thu Feb 28 19:49:31 UTC 2013

On 02/28/2013 09:52 AM, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 10:59:36AM -0600, Mario Limonciello wrote:
>> Thanks Rick.  I applaud this proposal.
>>
>> This definitely helps to reaffirm the decision that we made with Mythbuntu
>> to move to LTS only for our releases.  We have had an incredibly positive
>> response within our sub-community with the decision.
>>
>> I look forward to hearing more about how this will affect the point
>> releases for LTS though.  Currently LTS point releases are bringing in HW
>> backports from the previous 6 month release.  Will they keep a similar
>> schedule and pick up the current development release snapshot?
> Yes, that would be a good discussion to have at this point.
>
> The reason we do the HW backports is to ensure the LTS remains relevant
> on the latest hardware.  If anything, it seems to me that this is going
> to be twice as important as before, since we're shifting to rely even
> more heavily on the longevity of the LTS.
>
> That said, we may need to rethink the processes for how these are done.
> I'd like to hope we could stay reasonably close to the original plan,
> with some tweaks to account for our move to RR, at least through to the
> 14.04 LTS, but putting together the HW backports involves a lot of
> people, so it would make sense to have a discussion on this topic next
> week.

I agree that we would want to keep providing enablement stacks in the
future 12.04.x LTS point releases.  I also agree with Bryce that while
we could stay reasonably close the original plan, we would have to
re-evaluate some of the enablement stack policies/procedures going
forward if we moved to a rolling release model.  I have taken the
liberty to register a blueprint [1] for UDS next week to discuss some of
the items my team would like to specifically address.  Please feel free
to add any additional items of interest there as well and I look forward
to chatting next week.

Thanks,
Leann

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/client-1303-hwe-stack