Debian Sync - Re: Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

Scott Howard showard314 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 19:23:14 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs
<dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> But just like debian we know have britney, together with many
> automatic adt tests which we run on all reverse dependencies in
> jenkins. Uploading beta version of software into sid has never been
> welcomed and by default it gets released versions of software. Thus
> I'd expect our devel release to be more stable than testing.

I'm a little worried about library transitions. Just because reverse
dependencies build doesn't mean the new library version is binary
compatible with the previous. Debian is careful and thorough in
transition monitoring, but I occasionally find that libraries are
updated in Ubuntu while missing rebuilds on depending packages. I only
find out after a user submits a bug (e.g. [1]).

Will the rolling distribution import from unstable even though
unstable may be in the middle of a transition?

Regards,
Scott

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/qtiplot/+bug/1129237