Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

Allison Randal allison at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 28 19:17:30 UTC 2013

On 02/28/2013 07:31 AM, Rick Spencer wrote:

> To succeed at this we will need both velocity and agility. Therefore, I
> am starting a discussion about dropping non-LTS releases and move to a
> rolling release plus LTS releases right now.

Hi Rick,

At the moment, this proposal sounds mostly like a handwavey "Do less
work and get better results. Yay!" I do understand that you're more of a
traditional manager than a developer, so I'll give it the benefit of the
doubt and assume you just haven't explained it very well. Could we have
some developers explain how this model might work, in real-world
engineering terms?

I'm not entirely opposed to the idea that the Debian development model
of 2-year "stable" releases with an ongoing "unstable" archive has been
right all along. But frankly, if someone came to me with this proposal
you've posted as a "startup" and asked me to invest in it, I'd say "You
haven't demonstrated that this is technically feasible." and kick them
back to the drawing board.

Allison