Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 28 16:59:22 UTC 2013

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 11:44:47 -0500
Marc Deslauriers <marc.deslauriers at canonical.com> wrote:

> > That means users could choose:
> > * The LTS release
> > * The rolling release updated daily or as frequently as desired
> > * The rolling release updated at least monthly
>
> I like the monthly snapshot idea. It allows us to set goals,
> promote new features, and allows technical enthusiasts to use the
> development release without having the massive package churn every
> single day. This also isolates them from bad uploads in the rare
> cases where they may occur.

A monthy snapshot allows us to (as Marc points out) to set goals and
promote new features. But we should be really strict there -- no
last-minute changes (like, historically, we have seen with Unity). If
something is not ready, then this something *MUST* be postponed. We
will be now, at most, delaying one month (or a few days).

I am all for rolling release process between LTSs, but, please, let's
do it right.

..C..