Using the HUD DBus service under Gnome

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 27 03:15:54 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-02-27 at 08:54 +1100, Jason Heeris wrote:

> On 27 February 2013 07:43, Ted Gould <ted at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > For GTK+ applications to export their menu items they need to load the
> > appmenu-gtk module.  That's done by the environment variable
> > UBUNTU_MENUPROXY which is set to libappmenu.so.  That should have the
> > various applications export their menus.
>
> I think there's more needed. Under Unity, running the attached Python
> script from a terminal gives me some results:
>
> --
> $ ./hud.py
> File > <b>Open</b> Tab
> File > <b>Open</b> Terminal
> dropbox > <b>Open</b> Dropbox Folder
> View > Zoom <b>Out</b>
> Terminal > Set Character Encoding > Add <b>or</b> Remove…
> --
>
> Under Gnome, I get nothing back, even though:
>
> --
> $ echo $UBUNTU_MENUPROXY
> libappmenu.so
> --

Are you setting the environment variable in the session, or in that
terminal?  It would need to be set for all applications before they
startup.

> I'm interested in the libhud-client library though. Is it able to be
> used via GObject introspection? And is there any documentation
> available?

It will be when it hits the archive.  Currently we're getting it to that
state in this branch:

  http://code.launchpad.net/~indicator-applet-developers/hud/phablet

It's already building the introspection data.

Ted