Acoustic Models for HUD

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 26 14:19:17 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 03:46:34PM -0600, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-02-25 at 19:13 +0100, Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals
> wrote:
> > The English Voxforge models are currently packaged in julius-voxforge.
> > There I did go with the nightly builds there, since in addition to the
> > time and disk size (which IMHO is already enough of a reason), it
> > needed HTK to build, which is not redistributable. It'd also be
> > interested in more opinions though.
>
> Yes, thanks for doing that!  We found it early on and it created some
> very good results.  But yes, Julius does have redistribution problems.
> But the library being 4-clause BSD and the tools.

4-clause BSD (i.e. with the advertising clause) isn't a distribution
problem in itself; from a brief glance at the copyright file I couldn't
work out why it was in multiverse.  Does anyone have background on that?

However, 4-clause BSD is incompatible with the GPL.  We could grant an
exception for Canonical-owned code, but we'd then have to make sure we
never used any external GPL code.  It probably wouldn't be worth the
hassle.