Setting env. variables manually

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Sun Dec 22 02:20:42 UTC 2013

Thanks for your comments, Martin!

On 2013-12-19 11:22, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson [2013-12-13  5:59 +0100]:
>> As regards ~/.pam_environment and /etc/default/locale, they are
>> written to automatically when people set their languages and locales
>> via the GUIs, so there is a risk that manual entries are accidentally
>> overwritten.
>
> That would be a bug in accounts-service & friends though. The PAM ones
> have a rather simple line format, so it isn't hard to change existing
> ones, and the code goes through some effort to not overwrite user
> settings and keep the format nice.

What I meant was that if a user for instance sets

LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8

manually in ~/.pam_environment, and at a later time changes the regional
formats setting via Language Support, the manual entry will be replaced.
That may or may not be what he/she wants.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj