Further Coverity info

Allan LeSage allan.lesage at canonical.com
Tue Apr 9 14:34:56 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I've just joined this mailing list so please forgive my failure to reply
inline to an existing Coverity thread--I was just relaying some info to
James and thought I'd share here as well.  In Product Strategy (at
Canonical) we do Coverity scanning on Unity and have developed some
special integration tools:

* coverity-launchpad-sync-tool exports Coverity defects as Launchpad
bugs: https://launchpad.net/coverity-launchpad-sync-tool .
* dpkg-coverity performs Coverity scans under dpkg/pbuilder/etc.:
https://launchpad.net/dpkg-coverity .
* As part of our Jenkins CI program, we're Coverity-scanning merge
proposals, and disapproving them upon finding a new defect:
https://code.launchpad.net/~mrazik/unico/coverity/+merge/156877 .
* Here's a lead-in to some documentation:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CanonicalProductStrategy/Coverity .

Obviously the above are pretty specialized to our workflow, but I wonder
if any would be useful to Ubuntu generally.

I agree with James that the Coverity tools/insights are excellent,
however we've had mixed success with our C++ projects, as their support
for C++11 features isn't very good as yet.  Lastly I'm aware that a
simple Jenkins plugin exists for scanning but we haven't explored it as
we're building under dpkg.

HTH, please do contact me with questions.

Allan LeSage