Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 1 19:59:35 UTC 2013

Dear developers,

Recent bug reports suggest that the Ubuntu installer for Windows, Wubi, is
not currently in very good shape for a release:

  13.04 installer doesn't create user account
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1155704

  Wubi fails to detect 12.04.2 and 13.04 AMD64 ISO
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1134770

Combined with the fact that Wubi has not been updated to work with Windows 8
(bug #1125604), and the focus on mobile client over desktop, the Foundations
team does not expect Wubi to be in a releasable state for 13.04.

I am therefore proposing to drop Wubi from the 13.04 release, starting
immediately with the upcoming Beta.  This will save our testers from
spending their time testing an image that will not have developers working
on fixing the bugs they find, and spares our users from using an image for
13.04 that is not up to Ubuntu's standards of quality.

If someone is interested in taking over the maintenance of Wubi so that it
can be released with 13.04 (or if not with 13.04, then with a future
release), I would encourage them to start by looking at the abovementioned
bugs and preparing patches, then talking to the release team.

Thanks,